Hi Robert,

First thing I'd note is that we should use the OKD documentation. I guess
that in most parts this is quite similar with the OCP version, but just to
be on the safe side.
Comments are inline as well.

În lun., 1 iul. 2019 la 19:26, Robert Dahlem <robert.dah...@gmx.net> a
scris:

> Dan,
>
> On 01.07.2019 17:43, Punga Dan wrote:
>
> > Ran through similar issue/confusion. Apparently the openshift-metrics  >
> ansible install which generates the openshift-infra project isn't't >
> enough for the HPA to work. >
> https://docs.okd.io/3.11/dev_guide/pod_autoscaling.html#req-for-using-hpas
> >
> So you actually need to install the metrics-server for kubernetes which
>  > generates a new project called openshift-metrics-server inside your
> cluster.
>
> Just to make sure that I have got you right: the installation notes on
>
> https://docs.openshift.com/container-platform/3.11/install_config/cluster_metrics.html
> and
>
> https://docs.openshift.com/container-platform/3.11/dev_guide/pod_autoscaling.html
> both say that openshift-metrics/config.yml is the playbook to run. If I
> understand you correctly then that is not true and I need to install
> something else.

On both pages, OCP/OKD, for the Pod Autoscaling documentation you will find
the reference to the metrics-server which needs to be installed. I haven't
said anything about replacing the openshift-metrics project, but rather add
it to the cluster. I guess more info about the different scopes of the 2
projects and how they interact and why we need them together could be
shared by the guys from RedHat that know their use and integration.

> Is that so because I used oc commands that are not meant for Openshift
> 3.11 or are the installation notes simply wrong?

I don't know about the "oc commands that are not meant for Openshift
3.11"...as long as you use the version 3.11 of the oc client, the commands
should work fine. At keast they do for me...

About the installation notes/documentation I'd have to say that they can be
improved. The reference about the metrics-server project and how to install
it is only found on the development section page of Pod Autoscaling while
there's no mention of it inside the cluster install/configure options.

Anyway, I would like to try what you recommended. How would I install
> the metrics server for Kubernetes into m OpenShift cluster?

With the command documented on the Pod Autoscaling page. Both the OKD and
OCP doc(which you've linked) states the same thing:
ansible-playbook \
/usr/share/ansible/openshift-ansible/playbooks/*metrics-server*/config.yml \
*-e openshift_metrics_server_install=true*

So invoke this playbook using the same inventory file you have used to
install the cluster and be sure to supply the bold-ed variable.

Kind regards,