nspin is used to define whether you are performing a
non magnetic (nspin=1,default), collinear magnetic (nspin=2) or non-collinear/fully relativistic (nspin=4) calculation.

In the atomic case if you want to fix the total spin (the up/dw density unbalance) you can use the total_magnetization variable (there use to be a redundant multiplicity variable but i think it has been suppressed).

In most cases you just run nspin=2 calculations specifying a non-zero starting_magnetization to break the up/dw symmetry

stefano