My first choice would be some self-interaction corrected functional -
for this case special case something like this below (i.e. a perdew
zunger SIC functional only on the excess charge) could be the simplest
(it used to be implemented in CP):

A less poetic approach would be to use a hybrid functional (have a look
at the bibliography for the Al substitution in SiO2)

Plenty of literature on this general problem if you search.