Dear Jie Peng,

 suppose you were running a model harmonic system in 1 dimension.

  M a = - K x

 at fixed energy  E.

 The kinetic energy would fluctuate harmonically between 0 (at maximum/minimum elongation) and E at the equilibrium distance .

 On average the Kinetic energy would be E/2 and its fluctuation some big fraction of E^2

 Something like sigma^2 = 1/T \int_0^T (E cos^2(2pi t/T) -E/2)^2 dt = E^2 1/T \int_0^T (cos(4pi t/T)/2)^2 dt = (E/2)^2 1/2pi \int_0^2pi cos^2(x) dx = (E/2)^2 / 2

  or

  sigma =  1/sqrt(2) * E/2 = 1/sqrt(2) avg EKin

  with 1 degree of freedom the mean square fluctuation of the kinetic energy is 70% of its average !

  you have 3 atoms in your cell hence 9 degrees of freedom. Assuming each contributes independently to the average this goes down by a factor 1/sqrt(9)=1/3

  actually more likely just 1/sqrt(6) as the total momentum is conserved so only 6 modes at Gamma are actually excited...

  If you perform your simulation in a bigger supercell with more atoms (more degrees of freedom) the average will be more stable     ( proportionally to  1/sqrt(#deg.of.freedom-3 )  ... moreover the thermal excitations of vibrational modes will be sampled more faithfully.

  best

stefano