I ran three simulations: (1) Water and quartz, (2) quartz only, and (3)
water only.

With pp.x I obtained the electron density along a coordinate for each
simulation. Then I did:
deltaRho = Rho(Water&Quartz) - Rho(WaterOnly) - Rho(QuartzOnly)

Which yielded how the electron density is perturbed on each object when
they are in proximity. I integrated the region around water to obtain the
"charge." This region was small compared to the distance of separation
(~0.5 nm region vs. 3 nm separation). Outside this region, deltaRho was
equal to 0.

Dan