________________________________
From: Dr. Thomas Brumme <thomas.bru...@uni-leipzig.de>
Sent: Monday, September 16, 2019 7:42:59 PM
To: Quantum ESPRESSO users Forum <users@lists.quantum-espresso.org>; bshao...@outlook.com <bshao...@outlook.com> Subject: Re: [QE-users] bad convergence in field-effect configuration calculations

Dear Bin,

I can't check your input thoroughly as I'm on vacation, but there are
2 things I noticed:

1. The doping seems quite high - maybe you're close to the van Hove
singularity which could explain problems. Can you try with less doping
and then - if this converges - increase the doping till you get
problems? And plot the total potential - maybe the charge is already
spilling into the vacuum?! This is connected to the second problem:
2. It can help if you "hide" the gate in the barrier. A typical setup
I used recently:
  zgate        = 0.589,
  emaxpos      = 0.59,
  eopreg       = 0.01,
  block        = .true.,
  block_1      = 0.50,
  block_2      = 0.60,
  block_height = 2.50,
and the system is below 0.5... E.g. for your case, try
    zgate = 0.1311111
    block = .true.
    block_1 = 0.13
    block_2 = 0.23
    block_height = 2.5
    edir = 3
    emaxpos = 0.13
    eopreg = 0.01
The barrier starts with the dipole correction and the gate is right
behind the dipole... Compare with Fig. 2 of the PRB (2014). Also note
that 2.5 Ry for the barrier height is an arbitrarily chosen value - I
noticed other people now also use 2.5 Ry even if 2 Ry or even 1.5 Ry
should be enough. Yet, the higher the doping, the higher the dipole
correction the higher the barrier (if you "hide" everything in the
barrier)...

Regards & Greeting from the lake Garda in Italy

Thomas

Zitat von Bin Shao <bshao...@outlook.com>:

Dear all,

I would like to learn how to set up calculations of field-effect
configuration in quantum espresso. I read the paper "T. Brumme, M.
Calandra, F. Mauri; PRB 89, 245406 (2014)." and started with
graphene as an example. The input file is as follows. During the scf
calculation, there are a lot of warnings like " c_bands:  1
eigenvalues not converged". And the calculation could not get
converged after 800 iterations, could anyone help me with the input
file? Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Bin

&CONTROL
  calculation = 'scf'
  etot_conv_thr =   2.0000000000d-05
  forc_conv_thr =   1.0000000000d-04
  outdir = './out/'
  prefix = 'aiida'
  pseudo_dir = './pseudo/'
  tprnfor = .true.
  tstress = .true.
  gate = .true.
  dipfield = .true.
  tefield = .true.
  verbosity = 'high'
/
&SYSTEM
  degauss =   0.02
  ecutrho =   500
  ecutwfc =   45
  ibrav = 0
  nat = 2
  ntyp = 1
  occupations = 'smearing'
  smearing = 'cold'
  tot_charge = -0.2
  zgate = 0.1
  block = .true.
  block_1 = 0.13
  block_2 = 0.23
  block_height = 2.5
  edir = 3
  emaxpos = 0.005
  eopreg = 0.01
/
&ELECTRONS
  conv_thr =   1.0000000000d-9
  electron_maxstep = 800
  mixing_beta =  0.4
  mixing_mode = 'local-TF'
/
ATOMIC_SPECIES
C      12.011 C.pbe-n-kjpaw_psl.1.0.0.UPF
ATOMIC_POSITIONS crystal
C            0.0000000000       0.0000000000       0.3500000000
C            0.3333333000       0.6666667000       0.3500000000
K_POINTS automatic
65 65 1 0 0 0
CELL_PARAMETERS angstrom
      2.4638000000       0.0000000000       0.0000000000
     -1.2319000000       2.1336508000       0.0000000000
      0.0000000000       0.0000000000      35.0000000000