Dear Robert,

Adding to the comments and hints by Lorenzo and Paolo, I would just like to add that i) I usually use OpenBLAS (https://www.OpenBLAS.net/) instead of the NetLib versions of BLAS+LAPACK (compiled from source, it easily adapts to the underlying hardware, with few options and it seems to me to be close to the performance of Intel MKL et co; despite its name it also contains LAPACK, not only BLAS) and ii) why OpenMPI 1.x.y, as the latest versions are at 4.x.y?

I would also ensure that the environmental variable 'OMP_NUM_THREADS' is indeed set correctly, even if at '1', to avoid a burst of OpenMP threads. The correct number of course depends on the number of cores available, hyper-threading or not (or how is it called on the AMD EPYC), the number of MPI tasks and the amount of memory available, should the latter become a bottleneck.

    Greetings from Paris,

       apsi

  Ari Paavo Seitsonen / ari.p.seitso...@iki.fi / http://www.iki.fi/~apsi/