hello

when you compile the qe, first the program creates all executables in bin subdirectory of the top qe directory. Check if they are there.

If they are:  you may either avoid the secod step either using  the full path to execute the program.

e.g. in my case

/home/pietro/q-e/bin/pw.x

or adding  to the q-e/bin directory to the default path. For example in my case:

type the bash command

export PATH=/home/pietro/q-e/bin:$PATH

The second installationt would be copying the executables in a specified directory, that, if I am not wrong,  by default is /usr/local/bin  for which you would need the administrator privileges.

The second thing you tried has nothing to do with the compilation of the package.

It's ubuntu that knows that there is a debian package of quantum-espresso available, and asks you if you want to install it. But again to do this you need administrator privileges.

hope it helps

best regards -- Pietro