Hello,

Late answer better than never

NEB calculations can be VERY tricky even for reactions that ‘looks simple’

A popular scheme is to perform a normal NEB to a higher force threshold, say
0.15 eV/Å and then to restart activating the climbing images to something lower
like 0.05 eV/Å

If you get two maximas (typically during a dissociation on a slab you also get
an additional diffusion which has an energy barrier…) you might want to perform
two separate nebs… if you are sure that this is a reasonable path. NEB is known
sometimes to produce unreasonably long path, and this could be a reason for
this double maxima. You can try playing with the spring constant to remediate
this problem

Some more advanced methods claim to fix these issues and improve efficiency
such as ‘autoNEB’ (implemented in ASE but not directly in QE) you could also
try these…

Good luck