But what about your mailbox users?
It's important to know if Roundcube was hacked or if a privileged user was
used to send automatic e-mails.

It already happened to me that I received an e-mail from BSI (German Federal
Office for Information Security) warning me about an online list which
contained username and password credentials of mailbox users, some of them
also sitting on my hosting server.
What if you block the affected user or change his mailbox password? What
happens then? Do the hacks/attacks/automated mails stop?