I meant to report back on this quite a while ago. I found that by disabling the plugin called "Prevent Sending Spam" seems to have solved the problem. At least nobody is reporting any further problems...

On 2016-09-10 02:56 PM, Bob Miller wrote:
Hello Again,

Unfortunately it seems my problem has returned. Specifically that when a
mail is forwarded or replied to in html, and the mail has attachments,
the user is presented with an error "failed to send message" when
clicking the send button.

The same user that reported it last time says it is still happening. She
cannot determine if she has successfully forwarded an html message with
an attachment since I last upgraded, so all I can say is that I was not
able to reproduce the issue after I upgraded to 1.1.5, but I am able to
reproduce it now.  in chrome and firefox.

I have since upgraded to the latest 1.2.1, but there is no change in the
behaviour.

I do use several of the old myroundcube plugins (and eagerly awaiting
roundcube next for a new caldav/everything system). I have tried
disabling most of them, and a number of standard plugins, one at a time.
no change from doing that.

I have enabled debug logging.  I only see activity in the sql logs,
where there are no apparent errors or failures, and the following
warnings in the error log:

Warning: Call to deprecated function get_input_value(); See bc.inc for
replacement
Warning: Call to deprecated function get_table_name(); See bc.inc for
replacement
Warning: Call to deprecated function write_log(); See bc.inc for
replacement

I also see no activity in dovecot of mail server logs, so it seems to me
the issue lies strictly within the compose page, as though the crafted
mail does not pass validation and is therefor not moved forward to any
kind of sending activity.  On that theory, I got the source of the
compose page and ran it through tidy.  There were a pile of warnings,
but nothing looked like an issue to me, and there were no errors.

The only idea I have left to troubleshoot is to remove all the plugins
and see if one of them is the issue.  That would have to be scheduled
for off-hours.  If anyone has any further suggestions regarding how I
might troubleshoot this, I would appreciate to hear them...