Le 25/05/2018 à 11:02, Samuel Gougeon a écrit :
Hello,

Le 25/05/2018 à 10:45, Clément David a écrit :
Hi,

Thanks for your experimental work on that topic. I guess we could merge the parser fix easily however the `!` usage to recall a previous command will remain problematic. This usage does not seem to be documented somewhere in the help page, maybe we could discard it. What's your opinion on that
?

It is an historical and standard feature, used not only in Scilab language.
Please see the entry http://bugzilla.scilab.org/10776

The only issue is that it is still undocumented. It could be described in the Console's page.

"The only issue" : hmm, not really. Even if the missing documentation is the main one, IMO this (already) very handy feature could be improved in at least two ways:

 * when no match is found in the history, nothing happens. For people
   who does not know the feature (or who has forgotten that it is
   available), this could be easily puzzling and felt as a bug.
   => when no match is found, Scilab shall print a message "No match
   found in history"

 * A listbox listing matches could be displayed, to select the only
   entry searched for.
   This might be done in two ways :

     o either typing "!" + one char as the very first characters would
       enter a completion mode based on the history, with matches
       listed in a listbox as described hereabove

     o or this could be done only after validating with <enter>, or
       CTRL+space as for the feature completion (but here targeted to
       the history with the leading "!")

If a completion mode is implemented, then the message "no match found in history" could be displayed in the listbox instead of in the console (note that the general feature completion triggered with CTRL+space displays nothing when no match is found).

By the way, as for this "!" history recall, the existing interactive usage of the completion is not documented in the Console page. Let's add both in the page, as they presently are.

Regards
Samuel