I prefer the display after applying https://codereview.scilab.org/#/c/20981/:

--> x0=%pi/4;h=%eps/2
 h  =

   1.110D-16

--> cos(x0+%i*h)
 ans  =

   0.7071068 - 7.850D-17i

However, we could discuss if the arbitrary switch to "e" mode is desirable or not, but since Scilab 6.0 we have got used to this display mixing "v" and "e" mode...

BTW, this patch also fixes the more general problem of ambiguous display of quantities like (below is the display after the patch)

--> 1+%eps
 ans  =

   1.0000000

Currently Scilab makes users believe that a complex/non real number is real by hiding small non-zero real parts, and makes users believe that a non-integer number is integer by hiding zeros in the fractional part. Each year I have to warn my students, and I am really getting upset about this. The aforementionned patch also fixes that.

S.