In order to use mesh2d with your data, there must exist a plane (u,v) on which you could project your (x,y,z) data. The mesh obtained on projected data (u,v) would give you the triangulation of the (x,z,y) data. This won't be possible with mesh2d if you take for example scattered points on a sphere. However, any non-linear transformation "unfolding" the data could also help to use pure 2d tools like mesh2d.

S.