Hello,

I have given a a more detailed answer on scilab discourse, with maths
stuff correctly typeset and plots comparing approximations:

https://scilab.discourse.group/t/approximate-a-convolution-product/

S.

Le 03/02/2023 à 11:52, Heinz Nabielek a écrit :
This is my latest code version: the 'convoluted secondary failure fraction' is
nicely below primary failure,  but seems too low.
Heinz

m=2;         // Weibull modulus in mechanism  #1
k=1E-7;      // corrosion rate(s-1) in mechanism  #1
n=500;       // number of time steps in hourly intervals
t=(1:n)';    // timesteps in hours
ts= 3600*t;  // timesteps in seconds
PHI= 1 - exp(-((k*ts)^m)); // failure fraction in mechanism #1
deriv=m*k*((k*ts)^(m-1)) .* exp(-((k*ts)^m)); //derivative of PHI
phi=3600*deriv;  //derivative of PHI integrated over an hour
f= 1 - exp(-ts/3E5);         // "pure" failure fraction in mechanism #2
F=(convol(phi,f)/n)(1:n);   //"convoluted" failure fraction mechanism #2
plot("nl",t, [PHI phi f F'],'-');xgrid;
legend('PHI primary failure','phi primary failure rate','pure secondary failure
fraction','convoluted secondary failure fraction',4);
xlabel('time (hours)');
ylabel('failure fraction/ failure rate');