>>     Which plugins can I get rid of when openssl is being used ?
>>
> if you enable openssl then you can get rid of the following plugins:
>
>   aes des sha1 sha2 md5 gmp
>
> you still need hmac (always), pubkey and x509 (with rsa signatures)
> and xcbc (with aes-xcbc authentication).

Thanks for that, Andreas. By adding the following configure flags

 --disable-des \
 --disable-md5 \
 --disable-sha2 \
 --disable-gmp \
 --disable-xcbc \
 --disable-pluto \
 --disable-tools \
 --enable-openssl \
 --disable-static \

I've managed to shrink the installed strongSwan footprint by 50%.

Even though I'm no longer building the gmp plugin, I notice that the
eap-aka plugin still requires the gmp library ...

>>     I tried adding openssl to the list of plugins in strongswan.conf and
>>     removing the following:
>>
>>         aes des sha1 sha2 md5 gmp xcbc fips-prf
>>
>>     However, with these removed, the tunnel does not come up. A little
>>     experimentation shows that I have to add fips-prf (okay, I can
>>     understand this one) and sha1 back in.
>>
>>     Why do I need to add sha1 back in ?
>>
> shouldn't be required, see the following openssl scenario:
>
> http://www.strongswan.org/uml/testresults43/openssl/rw-cert/moon.strongswan.conf

Sadly, if I remove the sha1 plugin from strongswan.conf, the tunnel
refuses to come up. I'll leave this for now and investigate later ...

Thanks for the help,

    Graham.