Hi All,

Thanks Martin, I've made some more progress, I am now getting the following
error when I run "ipsec up test":

002 "test" #2: initiating Main Mode
104 "test" #2: STATE_MAIN_I1: initiate
003 "test" #2: ignoring informational payload, type NO_PROPOSAL_CHOSEN
010 "test" #2: STATE_MAIN_I1: retransmission; will wait 20s for response
010 "test" #2: STATE_MAIN_I1: retransmission; will wait 40s for response
031 "test" #2: max number of retransmissions (2) reached STATE_MAIN_I1.  No
response (or no acceptable response) to our first IKE message

My ipsec.conf now looks like this:

# ipsec.conf - strongSwan IPsec configuration file

# basic configuration

config setup
    plutostart=yes
    nat_traversal=yes
    plutodebug=all

# Add connections here.

conn test
       auto=add
       authby=xauthrsasig
       forceencaps=yes
       keyexchange=ikev1
       keyingtries=1
       type=tunnel
       xauth=client
       right=<IP address of CheckPoint VPN>
       left=<IP address of my laptop>

# include /var/lib/strongswan/ipsec.conf.inc

>From what sense I can make from the error, I assume it means that my client
>request has reached the VPN gateway, but the authentication/encryption
>protocols don't match?

I sincerely appreciate the help you guys are providing.

Regards,

Jana