Hello Nan,

the source code in question is

   if (n->isan_spisize != COOKIE_SIZE * 2 || pbs_left(pbs) < COOKIE_SIZE
* 2)
        {
                loglog(RC_LOG_SERIOUS
                        , "DPD: R_U_THERE_ACK has invalid SPI length (%d)"
                        , n->isan_spisize);
                return STF_FAIL + ISAKMP_PAYLOAD_MALFORMED;
        }

COOKIE_SIZE is a constant with a value of 8 bytes and n->isan_spisize
is output as 16 bytes in the error message. This means that the
second half

  || pbs_left(pbs) < COOKIE_SIZE * 2)

triggers the error. This means that the received R_U_THERE_ACK
message does not contain 2 COOKIES.

Regards

Andreas

On 08/24/2011 03:34 AM, Nan Luo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have seen this error in the pluto debug log "secure" when testing DPD
> against my SeGW, I wonder what this error really means. Per RFC3706, the
> SPI length should be set to 16 in the R_U_THERE/R_U_THERE_ACK messages.
> So does this error mean something else wrong in the R_U_THERE_ACK sent
> by my SeGW? strongSwan sent a MALFORMED-PAYLOAD back to my SeGW after
> printing out this error
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Nan

Andreas Steffen                         andreas.stef...@strongswan.org