We have a number of sites connected via StrongSwan IKEv2 tunnels, and I was hoping that someone might provide me with the recommended settings for dpdaction and auto, given our setup. I think have a reasonable handle on this, but I wanted to ask in case I was doing anything that might result in reduced reliability or fault tolerance.

1.) Two main offices with static IPs, Phone, file, print, and database servers. 2.) Multiple branch office, most with static IPs, a few with Dynamic IPs, client PCs and SIP phones. Each branch has two tunnels, one to each main office.

I am fairly certain that I was previously told to set dpdaction=restart in the main offices and dpdaction=clear in the branches, but I am not certain what I should be doing with the auto= directive.

The main goal is reliability of the tunnels and a reduced need to restart tunnels manually when one side or the other loses connectivity.

Many thanks,

Tom