For example, it seems that MacOS (10.12 Sierra) native client supports only EAP-MSCHAPv2 and rejects any other methods, e.g.

when I configure swanctl.conf in the following way:

connections {
    ikev2-userpass {
      [ ... ]
      remote-1 {
          auth = eap-peap
          # auth = eap-ttls
        }
      }
 }

I get the following messages in logs:

Mar  2 14:23:32 vpn strongswan: 16[ENC] <ikev2-userpass|4> generating IKE_AUTH response 1 [ IDr CERT CERT AUTH EAP/REQ/PEAP ]
[ ... ]
Mar  2 14:23:32 vpn strongswan: 11[ENC] <ikev2-userpass|4> parsed IKE_AUTH request 2 [ EAP/RES/NAK ] Mar  2 14:23:32 vpn strongswan: 11[IKE] <ikev2-userpass|4> received EAP_NAK, sending EAP_FAILURE

and same for EAP-TTLS: "generating IKE_AUTH response 1 [ IDr CERT CERT AUTH EAP/REQ/TTLS ]"receive EAP/RES/NAK

So the question is there an alternative to EAP-MSCHAPv2 which can be used on mostly deployed clients?