I tried using Mvn 2.2.1 and got the same error from the wagon plugin:

[INFO] [site:deploy {execution: default-deploy}]
WAGON_VERSION: 1.0-beta-2
http://ci1.xxx/test - Session: Opened
Uploading: ./css/maven-base.css to http://ci1.xxx/test

# Transfer error: org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpException: Unbuffered
entity enclosing request can not be repeated.
http://ci1.xxx/test - Session: Disconnecting
http://ci1.xxx/test - Session: Disconnected
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Error uploading site

Embedded error: PUT request for: ./css/maven-base.css to maven-base.css
failed
Unbuffered entity enclosing request can not be repeated.
----

I also tried using -X but got no more output to indicate the root cause.