Should be possible to add a mojo to the maven-dependency-plugin to scan for
duplicate classes in scope XYZ... that would be the major indicator.

Of course you'd need include/excludes... and ignores... and failure mode
control.... probably want a report as well... can you file a JIRA for it...
if nobody has implemented it by xmas, I'll take a bite

-Stephen