Thanks, Joe.  I've only just got round to looking into this again.  I
found I can get this to work by adding the following to the maven
assembly plugin's components.xml file:

    <component>
      <role>org.codehaus.plexus.archiver.Archiver</role>
      <role-hint>ext</role-hint>

<implementation>org.codehaus.plexus.archiver.zip.ZipArchiver</implementation>
      <instantiation-strategy>per-lookup</instantiation-strategy>
    </component>

Where 'ext' is the extension I want to use instead of zip.  I've only
been able to get this to work by having my own copy of the maven
assembly plugin.  Is there any other way to provide this configuration
from outside the maven assembly plugin?

Many thanks for any help.

Regards, Graham.