Just for the record, here's the solution if anyone else were to encounter
this:

My mistake was to do with basic annotation syntax:

In the header of my Mojo class, I had:

/**
 * This goal will process a ...
 *
 * @goal metadatagenerator
 * @phase compile
 * @author Pankaj Tandon
 *
 *
 /

/**
 * This class is modified from the Ant Task ...
 *
 */
public class MetadataMojo extends AbstractMojo {

Instead of

/**
 * This goal will process a ...
 *
 * @goal metadatagenerator
 * @phase compile
 * @author Pankaj Tandon
 *
 * This class is modified from the Ant Task ...
 *
 */
public class MetadataMojo extends AbstractMojo {

The extra block of comments threw my annotations off kilter and I did not
get the plugin descriptor generated correctly.

I introduced this comment before site generation and therefore the wild
goose chase.

Hope this helps somebody :)

Pankaj