Sorry for the very late reply...

On 03/09/2011 07:16 PM, Daryl Lonnon wrote:
Joachim,

So effectively, each of the modules you wish to version separately, is
treated as it's own release. Then you have a separate release (the dep
module) that specifies dependency to all of your other modules.

Do each of your "sub" modules (the non dependency module) keep track of
their own versioning and dependencies?
We call these parts. They all have a parent pom with a dependencyManagement section which handles the versions of the dependencies (all sub-modules are also mentioned here). The dep module then uses these (import scope) to pull the dependencies versions together.

"mvn release" will handle tracking of the version of the module but not it's
dependencies (IIRC). How do you update those dependency versions before and
after a release (do you do it by hand)?
We don't do anything special. The version only needs to be changed in the dep module.

Do each of these modules have a common parent pom.xml (and do you track
dependencies in that)?
Each of the parts (which are the modules released together) have a parent pom which again has a global project parent.

Kind regards,
Joachim

Right now, I'm thinking of writing a script that does a release, since I'm
not seeing an easy way to do it within the maven framework. But I'd love to
be shown how to make it work within that framework cleanly.

Daryl