Not "would" but I hazard an argument to say "could", there are subtle API -signature- changes that make targetting older bytecode problematic, aka from JDK5-6 I believe there were some methods ( class escapes me now ) that used to take a String but now take a CharSequence, source compatible but runtime-linker incompatible when resolving the method.

If building an older -target IMHO one should always use the toolchains plugin or switch the whole VM to ensure the bootclasspath "of the compile" uses the appropriate one.

If we did do this change - could we not have m-c-p make a big visible "WARNING" about not locking down the source/target like we have with no-versions for plugins?