I haven't had time lately to follow a lot of the user list threads,
but this one got my attention so I read the whole thing last night.
Without having any background on Joachim's previous threads, and
judging everything only based on this one, I was kind of
surprised...not in a good way. If this was my first foray into the
community, I probably wouldn't stay long since it seems quite
passive-aggressively hostile.

What I see is Joachim asking a fair question with constraints that I
personally find overly restrictive but then I don't know all the back
story that produced those constraints. I don't know why our response
needed to go beyond a simple statement like "take a look at
dependency, assembly, shade or truezip plugins since they have the
ability to unpack stuff". Instead it reads like a bunch of preaching
and people convincing him that it's the wrong way. If someone is
receptive to alternate suggestions fine, but this felt forced and then
there was a pig-pile effect of people jumping in.

For what it's worth, my very first plugin (the copy-unpack plugin
which later became the dependency plugin) started with a very similar
use case where I needed to unpack some stuff. I recall having
discussions on IRC about this but they weren't evangelistic, rather
"that's a new use case, you might need to write or modify a plugin,
let us know if you need pointers along the way." That's the community
we should have here, not one that looks like an immune system
attacking a foreign body.