Is there a maven way to have an artifact of version SNAPSHOT with
dependencies of type SNAPSHOT that when doing a release via the
maven-release-plugin can be changed to non-snapshot dependencies, in
particular actually a **range** of RCs?

what I want is a POM like this

<version>1.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>

<dependency>
   <groupId>...</groupId>
   <artifactId>...</artifactId>
   <version>2.1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
</dependency>

that when doing a release build with the maven-release-plugin becomes

<version>1.0.0.0</version> <!-- this I control by hand when running
m-release-p -->
<dependency>
   <groupId>...</groupId>
   <artifactId>...</artifactId>
   <version>[2.1.0.0, 2.1.0.999]</version>
</dependency>

So the versioning scheme i'm following is that all snapshot builds of this
artifact depend on a snapshot dependency version (2.1.0-SNAPSHOT in my
example) but that RCs contain a fourth digit that is just an RC counter.
All this because i can't redeploy a single RC 2.1.0 and the numerical
quality of a fourth digit seems simpler than an "RC" qualifier which is
treated lexicographically in a range and which causes a -SNAPSHOT to be
deemed newer than an -RC

What I'm trying to avoid is having to update all <dependency> tags  to a
particular RC count every time there is a new RC of the 2.1.0 dependency.
This is why i use a range for all the RCs

At a higher level, what I'm trying to do is simply to have snapshots depend
on snapshots and RCs depend on the latest RC within a branch, not just the
newest RC. Feel free to suggest a completely different (correct?) way to do
this

Thank you,

Alejandro Endo | Software Designer/Concepteur de logiciels
DISCLAIMER:

Privileged and/or Confidential information may be contained in this
message. If you are not the addressee of this message, you may not
copy, use or deliver this message to anyone. In such event, you
should destroy the message and kindly notify the sender by reply
e-mail. It is understood that opinions or conclusions that do not
relate to the official business of the company are neither given
nor endorsed by the company.

Thank You.