You still have something wrong with the repositories in your pom or the
settings.xml. Making requests to Nexus ..../releases would generally only
be done for _your_ internal components, not for things like http client or
the clean plugin. You would normally have requests to .../public instead.
I'm pretty sure this is the root cause of all your problems and the maven
opts fix you refer to above is a hack around that.