That's called a transitive dependency and this blog[1] explains nicely why
you shouldn't use those.

[1] http://uglycoder.blogspot.nl/2008/04/flaw-with-mavens-transitive.html

Hth,

Nick Stolwijk

~~~ Try to leave this world a little better than you found it and, when
your turn comes to die, you can die happy in feeling that at any rate you
have not wasted your time but have done your best ~~~

Lord Baden-Powell