I don't really understand what you want to do

see http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/pom/trunk/maven/ for something quite
similar
In our case, the change to use src/site-docs instead of src/site is done in a
separate site-pom.xml instead of a profile in pom.xml, but it doesn't change
the principle used: configure siteDirectory

What I don't understand is
> In other words, I'm trying to achieve two trees of sites, each with a
> different site.xml at the top, but otherwise retaining the same structure
> (in terms of modules).

Such siteDirectory configuration won't affect modules structure

The fact is that configuring siteDirectory not only gives you another site.xml,
but site content (apt, xdoc, fml, md,...) isn't shared: do you want to share
content between your sites?
That's the only reasong why I would understand your need of a different
site.xml without changing siteDirectory (which isn't an actually supported
feature)

Regards,

Hervé