Doing it as I explained did NOT allow you to do a release or refer to it
within other resources during a legic release phase

What you triggered was a release (as if legit) to go into the snapshot repo
- cant see any issues with that kind of behavior and have turned out to be
very useful when implementing formal test signoffs where exact version
tested against become critical (mind you these test phases is done before
even taken the app to UAT - technically still in a development phase).

Allowing these "formal" snapshots releases to be released into the snapshot
repo can hardly affect the normal behavior of releasing local builds
(without any constraint of the build was done against committed data - as
it's currently works)

>From what I hear is that someone decided to plug this "feature" = personally
(and form an organizational point of view I think you removed useful
functionality)

Next question: if this now is a planned move - why not allow snapshots (that
maven does on local uncommitted data) to be processed as if it actually is
somewhat legit - without open up the possibility to use this as a prod state
resource in the dependency sections ?

-----
good @ being sucked @