Folks,

I've gotten my classifier artifact to build and install in our local repository. Specifying the classifier gets the appropriate artifact, and removing the classifier gets the [other] appropriate artifact.

Now I'm a bit paranoid that the artifact with the classifier will leak out into other releases, so I thought I would write an enforcer rule.

I thought that the following would work:

<bannedDependencies>
    <excludes>
        <exclude>org.mdeggers:*:*:*:*:DEBUG</exclude>
    </excludes>
</bannedDependencies>

based on:

http://maven.apache.org/enforcer/enforcer-rules/bannedDependencies.html

While this certainly blocked the following dependency:

<dependency>
    <groupId>org.mdeggers</groupId>
    <artifactId>SampleBuild</artifactId>
    <version>1.5</version>
    <type>war</type>
    <classifier>DEBUG</classifier>
</dependency>

with the message:
Found Banned Dependency: org.mdeggers:SampleBuild:war:DEBUG:1.5

It also blocked the following dependency:

<dependency>
    <groupId>org.mdeggers</groupId>
    <artifactId>SampleBuild</artifactId>
    <version>1.5</version>
    <type>war</type>
</dependency>

with the message:
Found Banned Dependency: org.mdeggers:SampleBuild:war:1.5

This I did not expect. The messages are also a bit suspect in that they don't match the pattern given in the documentation.

I looked on JIRA and found the following (based on another thread):

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MENFORCER-74
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MENFORCER-75
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MENFORCER-72

These are all closed with a 'fixed' designation for release 1.3.

I'm using version 1.3.1

However, I briefly looked at the code here:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/enforcer/tags/enforcer-1.3.1/enforcer-rules/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/plugins/enforcer/BannedDependencies.java?revision=1502671&view=markup

and classifier does not seem to have made it in.

Have I walked through this correctly? If so, is there a fix (other than not using classifiers, or just hoping that a DEBUG classifier doesn't make it into a release)?

Thanks,
Mark

/mde/