giving cruise control more memory won't pass it on to Maven - you need
to set MAVEN_OPTS=-Xmx512m or such to increase the memory size for
Maven (make sure this is in your environment before starting cruise
control though).

it's unusual that test:compile would have an out of memory error. What
happens when you run the projects outside of cruise control?

Are you actually running out of RAM, or just JAva heap?

Cheers,
Brett