I agree with Stephen .. avoid the Maven job type. In fact I would install
Daniel's

https://github.com/daniel-beck/hide-maven-plugin\

I have spent many hours trying to fix broken builds with the Maven job type
only to switch to Freestyle jobs and they just work. There is a reason why
Eclipse Hudson declared the job type legacy and has an improved Maven freestyle
integration (but thats kind of beside the point when you look at Jenkins).

Also in terms of settings management and such I suggest to use the config file
provider plugin.

I recorded a demo video about that stuff some while ago (for Sonatype in the
context of deploying to Nexus but applies generically). Its part of the tips
from the trenches series

http://www.sonatype.org/nexus/members-only/video-gallery-2/free-training-sonatype-nexus-and-clm-tips-from-the-trenches/

Here are the two Jenkins videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpXksHynouk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHJrqKf0cLk

Also if you want to invoke maven from a shell script or so you might want to
look at the wrapper.

https://github.com/takari/maven-wrapper

Hth

Manfred