Hmmm I did some digging...

https://maven.apache.org/ref/3.2.3/apidocs/org/apache/maven/artifact/handler/ArtifactHandler.html#isIncludesDependencies()
is i think the idea JvZ was hinting at.

For the case where a shaded JAR shades *everything* then a custom packaging
will work as we could set this flag and it would stop the transitive
dependencies being propagated... but most people do not shade *all*
dependencies, rather they shade a subset.

I think we may need to re-think how we do this or rethink the model being
read-only