I have found a number of workarounds for MR jars, including
https://github.com/metlos/multi-release-jar-maven-plugin, which makes the jars
relatively easy to build, but lacks support for unit tests and doesn’t allow
building in lower JDKs. Is there built-in maven support now? If not, is there a
road map?

I recognize that one of the problems in that the editors don’t appear to
support the innovations, including multiple classes with the same name but
different JDKs; I am hoping that maven support would prod the editor
maintainers, once they know how the tools expect the directories to be laid out.

Thanks,
Russ