>This all works fine for maven builds, but of course eclipse doesn't
>like its source files to be anywhere other than a direct descendent of
>the project directory.

Hmm, that's news to me. I have 6 independent source directories in one project
in Eclipse.

Try going into the Properties for the project, click on the Java Build Path
and add the source directories under Source.

Also, there should be some maven goals for Eclipse to help set both classpath
and maven repository path.