The archetype is a template which either does explicitly configure
maven-compiler-plugin with a Java version. Or if not, the default (for the
used version of maven-compiler-plugin) value is used.

In either case, you can after the Maven project has been generated change
the Java version to a version of your choice. To have Eclipse pick up the
change I think you need to right click on the project and select
Maven->Update project.

/Anders