Hello Robert

Thanks for your reply.

Le 24/11/2018 à 12:36, Robert Scholte a écrit :

> Let me correct this part: there is *no* need to change the folder
> structure to work with the Java Platform Modular System. The only
> thing you need to do is add a module-info.java to src/main/java and
> ensure you're using maven-compiler-plugin-3.8.0. That's it!

My email was saying that there is a need to change the folder structure
for using Java Platform Modular System with "--module-path" options. The
key part is "--module-path". What maven-compiler-plugin-3.8.0 does is to
use the "--class-path" options, which are the legacy options before Jigsaw.

The consequence is that it is currently not possible to build more than
one Jigsaw module in a single invocation of "javac", "javadoc", "jlink"
or other JDK tools with Maven. Consequently I'm not aware of any way to
generate a multi-modules javadoc, or to execute annotation processors
using information from more than one module (except by generating
temporary files), or any other task for which there is advantages in
being able to use standard JDK tools with their new "--module-path" options.

What I want is to be able to use Maven with Java "--module-path" options
instead than "--class-path". This is where the Maven standard directory
layout become an obstacle, because the "--module-path" option imposes a
directory layout which is different than the Maven's one.

I realize that not everyone may want to build a multi-modular project
using "--module-path" option. But before Java 9, Maven made the use of
javac easier without blocking the use of other options when desired.
Since Java 9, we have a difficulty for which I have not yet found a
satisfying solution other than the proposed Maven changes.

> The key library which might(/should!) be interesting for you is
> Plexus-Java [1], which calculates the modulepath.

I have not looked in details to Plexus-Java. Does it create a path for
each Maven module? That would be a workaround, but it still more
complicated than using Jigsaw in its "natural" way.

    Martin