Very happy to report that this was resolved in the just-released 3.3.0. See
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MDEP-761. Verbose dependency tree
works great now! Thanks to everyone who worked on it, including Ian
Lavallee for reimplementing it for Maven 3 and Filipe Roque for the fix so
that it doesn't hang.