Hi Bryan,

I think Maven is not guilty but your approach using static initializer and singletons is improvable

The JUNIT way

+) of defining a lifecycle for an individual test case is setup() and tearDown() +) of providing resources shared across multiple testsuites is using a TestSetup

The only trouble is that executing individual tests is not possible since they depend on running the TestSetup before

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl

bryan hansen wrote:

We are using maven to run our Unit Tests which are
accessing the database through Hibernate. It seems
that when Maven builds the test suite it is
reconfiguring hibernate before each TestCase. So if
there are 3 tests in a class it will run those with
the same configuration, but when it goes to the next
test it will reconfigure hibernate again. I have the
configuration code in a static initializer and am
accessing it from a Singleton (in fact I copied it
from Hibernate's website) and it is still doing it. I
have tried setting the various properties for testing
and can't seem to make a difference:

maven.junit.fork=true
maven.junit.jvm=java

It has gotten to the point that the build box is
throwing out of memories errors because it is trying
to allocate so many resources.

The only step I can think to do next is to not have
maven build my test suite and instead create on
myself, but I am afraid that it will become
unmaintainble because of all the test cases we have.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bryan