I think you have come across a bug with Bug ID 4403166 in java.io.File.

"Another longtime bugaboo for many developers, the issue with paths with more
than 255 characters on the Microsoft Windows operating system has finally been
resolved." Seems to be fixed in b19 of Mustang :-)
http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/J2SE/Desktop/Mustang_build39.html

-- David Låås