From: "Brett Porter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

This is a bit "dangerous".

Agreed. :)  But it works.

1) a project will have a different model depending on that property. It
will ripple into needing to change other things like the final name of the
built artifact to ensure you don't end up with one thing sometimes being
something different

Actually... that's the intent.  We build a .war file, and it contains
whichever JSF implementation you choose-- different .jar files in
WEB-INF/lib, web.xml filtered one way or another, but the name of the .war
file remains the same.  (Remember that this is an existing Ant build...)

This is a little bit of an unusual use case. It's understandable that you
often depend on a spec dependency (for which we don't yet have great
support) and an impl goes into the final bundle and the impl might change.
Changing the API too is what is unusual.

I agree... but that's the requirement.

Anyway, in m1 the general approach to this is to have two projects that do
the different bundling and build whichever you want, sharing the common
code. I'm not sure if that's easily done when the api is changed though.

I've just been introduced to the "leave the project structure alone and put
all the build files in a completely separate directory structure" concept.
Most of my problems (like building three artifacts out of a single source
tree) might just go away.  Reorganizing the project itself to suit Maven is
definitely not something I want to have to push for.

I replied in this fashion in another thread. I should also mention again
that environmental changes to project builds are supported in Maven 2.

(I missed your earlier responses, thanks for pointing them out.)  Okay,
okay... I'll look at m2 again.  :)  Last time it seemed like not enough of
the plugins I needed were ready yet.

--
Wendy