Have you tried launching maven with the java -ea switch? I don't think you can control these switches with surefire or any of the other maven plugins as far as I can tell, so I think you have to configure your own vm as best as you can.

I've just had a look at m2 shell script and I think you can set MAVEN_OPTS to achieve this. Let me know how you get on because I should be using asserts more often than I do!