I am trying to configure my pom to run the checkstyle plugin when i run the tests.

Initially I tried putting this in my POM based on a tutorial I read at http://www.devx.com/Java/Article/28801

<build>
    <plugins>
        <plugin>
            <artifactId>maven-checkstyle-plugin</artifactId>
           <configuration>
                <propertiesFile>checkstyle-src.xml</propertiesFile>
                <failsOnError>true</failsOnError>
            </configuration>
            <goals>
                <goal>
                    <id>test</id>
                 </goal>
            </goals>
        </plugin>
    </plugins>
</build>

bu that gave me a warnign that the goals needed to be places within an executions block and anything else had been deprectaed.

so a bit of digging turned up

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=turbine-maven-user&m=112064009313457&w=2

with the suggestion that I arrange my pom.xml more like this:

<build>
    <plugins>
        <plugin>
            <artifactId>maven-checkstyle-plugin</artifactId>
           <configuration>
                <propertiesFile>checkstyle-src.xml</propertiesFile>
                <failsOnError>true</failsOnError>
            </configuration>
            <executions>
                <execution>
                    <goals>
                        <goal>Test</goal>
                    </goals>
                 </execution>
             </executions>
        </plugin>
    </plugins>
</build>

but this results in

[ERROR] FATAL ERROR
[INFO] Diagnosis: Goal from the POM 'Test' was not found in the plugin

there is a JIRA issue that claims the POM XSD and the docs and the code are all out of sync.
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-555

so I am left wondering what to do about this... (note i also tried goal names 'test' and 'test:test'

I just tried updating to beta 3 today and generating a clean POM with the archetype command but it still references the old - broken XSD file.

has anyone got this to work? if so a working example would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Dave Sag