On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 18:56 +0000, John Fallows wrote:
> Is it possible to customize the syntax of pom.xml without impacting
> the rest of the Maven2?

In theory yes, but would we want to allow that I don't know. What do you
want to customize? Is is something generally useful that might be
incorporated into Maven itself?

> For example, could one provide a CustomMavenProjectBuilder and then
> register it as a Plexus MavenProjectBuilder component?

Yes.

> How would Maven2 decide which implementation to use, if both the
> Default and Custom implementations were registered on the M2
> classpath?

Plexus allows multiple implementations of a component which you select
by a component id or role hint as we call it in Plexus. You would make
your new component and would have to change the components.xml in maven-
project and it would work but I don't know if that's something I'd like
to see as a common occurrence.

> Kind Regards,
> John Fallows.

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

you are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence in.
No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise tomorrow.
They know it is going to rise tomorrow. When people are fanatically
dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of
dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or
goals are in doubt.

  -- Robert Pirzig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance