No - look at the javadocs for the java.lang.Runtime class.

The "Runtime.exec" method executes *another process" - in your case another
JVM I assume. Therefor, when that other JVM's jaxme executes System.exit -
it exists the second JVM and the "waitFor" method finishes...

Look at the javadocs of the "Runtime" class for details...