On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 16:11 +0200, Kevin McNamee wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I have high hopes for Maven and am looking forward deploying it here.
> I have been struggling to get Maven to create a plugin for me for
> about a week now. From the mails on this list I realise that
> documentation is lacking but that with the launch of Maven 2.0 nearing
> it will soon be fixed.

http://www.codehaus.org/~jvanzyl/maven2/guides/plugin/guide-java-plugin-
development.html

> However, I would have believed it possible to hack my way through some
> examples to get something (i.e. a plugin) up and running with Maven
> pretty quickly. Those of us who have worked with Makefiles and Ant
> also expect to be able to avoid the specifics of the programming
> environment being compiled when using Maven. In other words my first
> approach to Maven is to script something that compiles the product. In
> Maven 1.0 it was Jelly and in Maven 2.0 it is … well ... what is it?

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Maven+Plugin+Matrix

The matrix now has references to the SVN repositories and there are no
end of examples there. All the plug-ins thus far are written in Java.

> Is it Marmalade? It exists but is lagging and now seems to out of the
> picture altogether. See:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=turbine-maven-
> dev&m=112735456701029&w=2

Marmalade won't be officially supported.

> Is it AntRun? Maybe here is where I will start my next attempt.
>
> http://maven.apache.org/maven2/plugins/maven-antrun-plugin/index.html

It's an option for sure.

> Beanshells are written in Java
>
> http://blogs.codehaus.org/people/brett/archives/001090_writing_beanshell_plugins_for_maven_20.html

Beanshell is a scripting language.

> To help find the right direction I began at:
>
> http://maven.apache.org/maven2/plugin-overview.html
>
> which only refers to Mojos and Beanshells. Is there to be no scripting
> language???

Beanshell _is_ a scripting language and we have noted on the mailing
lists support for other languages like JRuby, Groovy and Jython.

> So perhaps you understand my frustration. Where do I begin writing
> plugins without using a programming language? What is the Maven
> philosophy?

Java, beanshell and antrun options as you've noted are what you've got
right now.

> Perhaps the introduction for the Plugin Development Guide could start
> by pointing out what plugin technologies are available.

Noted, and I'll add that to make it more clear. The current guide
strictly focuses on Java.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

We know what we are, but know not what we may be.

  -- Shakespeare