From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Is there a way to trun off the dependency checking of maven only for these
javax dependencies?

I don't know if it's the official "right answer" but you can exclude dependencies... I'm doing it to get rid of the wrong artifact names (servletapi vs. servlet-api) until the project poms are fixed:

     <dependency>
        <groupId>javax.servlet</groupId>
        <artifactId>servlet-api</artifactId>
        <version>2.4</version>
        <exclusions>
           <exclusion>
              <groupId>servletapi</groupId>
              <artifactId>servletapi</artifactId>
           </exclusion>
        </exclusions>
     </dependency>

(And because it took me a while to figure it out, if you use the -X switch on the command line, m2 will show you where the transitive dependencies are coming from.)

--
Wendy Smoak